East Sussex is looking absolutely lovely at the moment with the first signs of spring popping up all over the county. The beautiful little villages of Mountfield, Salehurst, Robertsbridge and Bodiam can be explored and enjoyed when you stay in one of our holiday cottages. These quirky, remote villages are full of history and surrounded by miles of countryside – perfect for ramblers, nature lovers and those wanting to soak up the history of the area!
Base yourself in the quirky town of Rye or the beach side village of Camber and spend your days exploring.
Moonrakers, Camber, Sleeps 8. Easter Cottage, Rye, Sleeps 6. The Crow’s Nest, Rye, Sleeps 2.
Mountfield is a village and civil parish in the Rother District of East Sussex three miles north-west of Battle. It is mentioned in the Domesday Book. In the 17th century, gypsum was discovered here and the ore is now mined; the mine is connected by rail to the Hastings Line which runs nearby and this is from where the ore is shipped out. A halt for Mountfield closed on 6 October 1969.
The nave and chancel are C12, with a tower added around 1200. Most windows are later and the big C12 font is decorated with C16 carving.
There are miles of lovely walks in and around Mountfield.
In historical terms Salehurst is much older than its neighbour; before the bridge over the River Rother was built it already existed, and it is named in the Domesday Book. At the time the river crossing was by ford or ferry, but in the 12th century a newly established order of Cistercian monks constructed the bridge, and the two settlements of Robertsbridge and Northbridge Street came into being; eventually – since the main road now bypassed the village – it became much more important than Salehurst. Salehurst lies approximately three miles from Bodiam, Sussex. One owner of Bodiam Castle was the Levett family, who lived at Salehurst during their ‘occupation’ of the castle. In 1588 John Levett of Salehurst contributed to the Armada loan, and in 1607 his sons John and Thomas of Salehurst were regranted by the College of Arms their right to the Levett coat of arms issued to their Sussex ancestors.
A church at Salehurst is mentioned in the Domesday Book and it is probable that the present church is built on the site of the Saxon church. It stands on a slight mound and lies just across the Rother valley from the remains of Robertsbridge Abbey. The building of the present church was in two main phases, the first by Simon de Etchyngham, a descendant of Reinbert who came to England with William the Conqueror, in the period 1220-1250. In 1309, Sir William de Etchyngham gave the advowson of Salehurst church to the Abbey of Robertsbridge when further rebuilding took place.
Bodiam is a small village and civil parish in East Sussex, England, in the valley of the River Rother near to the villages of Sandhurst and Ewhurst Green. It is home to Bodiam Castle, a small range of houses, a pub (called The Castle) opposite Bodiam Castle, and a restaurant (called The Curlew).
Originally it was a port and crossing point from Battle to North Kent. During the medieval period a great moated castle was built and is now a popular visitor attraction. Although famous for its castle, Bodiam was also a main hop-growing area in the last century and was famous for growing hops for Guinness. Reginald B. Levett of Court Lodge Farm would sell part of his land to Guinness to grow hops. A railway was built to provide transport for the hoppers, the Kent and East Sussex Railway, which is now a tourist attraction along with the castle.
The village is thought to date back to 1176 when a Cistercian abbey was founded there by the Abbot, Robert de St Martin. When a market charter was granted in 1198 by Richard to ‘Robertsbridge’ (Pons Roberti in Latin) it was the first recorded use of the name. The abbey was dissolved in 1538; however, the town flourished, and many of the oldest existing houses in the village date from the 14th and 15th centuries, including The Seven Stars Inn on the historic High Street. Robertsbridge is also home to the Robertsbridge Codex (1360), a music manuscript of the 14th century. It contains the earliest surviving music written specifically for keyboard.
These are just a few of the villages in the county and they have so much more to offer – miles of countryside with many planned walking routes! Please do send us any pictures, information, walks history etc. that you have on the area! We would love to put together a few guides for our cottages.